The impressive health benefits of St. John’s wort include its ability to treat depression, relieve anxiety, reduce PMS symptoms, improve mood swings, ease addictive tendencies, regulate hormonal activity, prevent cancer, protect against viral infections, reduce inflammation, and soothe the nervous system.
Traditionally used for:
- Mild to moderate depression
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), premenstrual syndrome (PMS), obsessive compulsive disorder, and menopausal symptoms
- Sleep disturbances including insomnia and hypersomnia
- Wounds and burns, herpes blisters, shingles, haemorrhoids, skin inflammation and nerve damage (topical application)
- Possible supportive therapy for viral infections such as herpes simplex, influenza, Epstein-Barr, mononucleosis, and HIV
- Sciatica and back pain
It will treat minor to severe health conditions including burns and bruises, mood swings, sleep disorders, bed-wetting in children, malaria, lung and kidney problems, tuberculosis, uterine cramping, PMS, haemorrhoids, peptic ulcers, gastrointestinal problems, breathing problems, hangovers and alcoholism.
Preliminary studies have found that St. John’s Wort may also help with psoriasis, sore throats, chronic coughs, sinus infections, Parkinson’s disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, arthritis, nerve pain, depression, anxiety and mental disorders.